NYSA Under 8 Guidelines
At the Grade 1/2 age level, the focus remains on developing the basis soccer skills in a non competitive, non outcome based playing environment. Players continue to work on development of core soccer skills in an atmosphere that promotes a love of the game.
Some of the principles encouraged include:
- Introduction of basic technical training with ball skills
- Expand an understanding of passing the ball, and field positions (forward, defense)
- Promote sportsmanship. This starts with parents and those watching. Positive comments to all players on the team is essential.
- 8 week season
- Sundays 12:30pm for Girls and 2:00pm for Boys @ McAfee Ellsworth Park
- 4X4 format with no goalkeepers; 12 minute quarters with halftime
- Teams break up into two smaller teams which play simultaneously on separate fields. At half time, the away team changes fields.
- Referees – NYSA uses youth ages 12-14 to referee all games; coaches are not allowed on the fields during the game.
- No game scores or team standings
- Players are randomly assigned to teams. Special requests for coaches, schools, or to accommodate other activity schedules will not be honored. Attention is given to balance talent and gender as best as possible.
- Coaches are all volunteers – consider joining in the fun as a head or assistant coach. Chances are, we need you!!
- 1 per week, approximately 75 mins.
- BEST Soccer leads training for 4 weeks at the beginning of the season on Wednesday or Thursday evenings at Melican Middle School (start time 5pm or 6pm).
- Remaining weeks of the season, coach chooses practice time implementing techniques introduced at the BEST training sessions. Individual team training these weeks are at an assigned elementary school.
- Game uniforms are purchased online via the registration link (reversible jersey with white for home and black for away)
- Bring size 3 ball to every practice and game
- Shin guards MUST be worn (under socks) for all practices and games
- Bring water to every practice and game
- No jewelry of any kind (including newly pierced ear rings)
- No coaching from the sidelines. This only confuses the players. Spend your energy encouraging all players on their efforts.
- Grade 1/2 referees are new and in the training process. Your patience and support is expected.
We are a volunteer organization and always looking for new parent volunteers coach our players. Please consider helping as a head coach or assistant.
Contact Geoff Maletta, NYSA Coach coordinator @ firstname.lastname@example.org